The NYT case
Attackers no longer go after our firewall. They go after individuals.
Michael Higgins, Chief Security Officer at The NYT
- Keep your Operating System and your softwares up to date
- Use an antivirus : ClamXav, Avast, MSE, Norton
- Activate your Firewall: Standard in Windows and Macs
- Lock your session on your computer AND your smartphone
- Encrypt sensitive files your flash drive, your hard drive, your smartphone memory, your SDCard, your data in the cloud etc. using BitLocker, FileVault or TrueCrypt
- Forget about password. Use Pass phrases
- Never use the same passphrase twice.
- If you need some help, use password manager such as LastPass or KeyPass
- Close your session in Gmail, WordPress, Blogger, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Erase your history
- Erase stored passwords and forms data
- Remove cookies
- Use private browsing